Below, is a list of VISA types U. S. Mortgage Companies Will Accept.

SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER – U.S. Citizens and Non-U.S. Citizens

Each borrower on the loan transaction must have a valid Social Security number. In addition,

any borrower who is not a U.S. citizen must meet the requirements in the following section.


Green Cards

A copy of the Green Card is required for all permanent resident aliens whose income and/or assets

are being used to qualify for a loan. A copy of the front and back of the card is required and must be

included in the loan file.

While the Green Card itself states “Do Not Duplicate” for the purpose of replacing the original

card, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) allows photocopying of the Green Card.

Making an enlarged copy or copying on colored paper may alleviate any concerns the borrower

may have with photocopying.


Required Visas

All non-permanent resident aliens must provide evidence of a valid, acceptable visa. A copy of the

unexpired visa must be included in the Loan file evidencing one of the following visa classes:

A Series (A-1, A-2, A-3): these visas are given to officials of foreign governments, immediate

family members and support staff. Only those without diplomatic immunity, as verified on the

visa, are allowed.

E-1 Treaty Trader and E-2 Treaty Investor: this visa is essentially the same as an H-1 or L-1; the

title refers to the foreign country’s status with the United States.

G series (G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, G-5): these visas are given to employees of international

organizations that are located in the United States. Some examples include the United Nations,

Red Cross, World Bank, UNICEF and the International Monetary Fund. Verification that the

applicant does not have diplomatic immunity must be obtained from the applicant’s employer

and/or by the viewing the applicant’s passport.

H-1 (includes H-1B and H-1C), Temporary Worker: this is the most common visa given to foreign

citizens who are temporarily working in the United States.

L-1, Intra-Company Transferee: an L-1 visa is given to professional employees whose company’s

main office is in a foreign country.

TN, NAFTA visa: used by Canadian or Mexican citizens for professional or business purposes.

TC, NAFTA visa: used by Canadian citizens for professional or business purposes.

All standards for determining stable monthly income, adequate credit history and sufficient liquid

assets must be applied in the same manner to each borrower including borrowers who are nonpermanent

resident aliens.


Foreign nationals who have no lawful residency status in the U.S. are not considered to be nonpermanent

resident aliens and are not eligible for financing.


Due to the inability to compel payment or seek judgment, transactions with individuals who are not

subject to United States jurisdiction are not eligible. This includes embassy personnel with diplomatic

immunity. Verification the borrower does not have diplomatic immunity can be determined by

reviewing the visa, passport or the U.S. Department of State’s Diplomatic List at



Enhanced by Zemanta